"Known to be willing to get stuck in, particularly on complex and unusual matters, and to be easy to work with nonetheless... vast experience of a wide range of matters which shines through in both advice and advocacy." (Managing Partner, one of the UK's leading disputes firms)
Our practitioners have a wealth of experience in commercial and corporate litigation throughout jurisdictions worldwide. Our barrister members are frequently instructed on urgent freezing orders, challenges to jurisdiction, trials, State and Diplomatic Immunity issues, and matters relating to enforcement of judgments and arbitration awards before the English courts as well as courts applying English/common law.
We have been at the forefront of the development of international commercial courts, modelled on the English commercial court, throughout the world.
Examples of our engagements are set out below. For more details of our experience in specific sectors or jurisdictions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- High Commissioner of Pakistan v Natwest & Ors – advised and represented the Claimant in respect of claim to funds held by the Defendant since 1948
- Tullow v. Heritage – advising and representing Heritage in Commercial Court proceedings concerning a claim for an indemnity worth US$400 million arising out of the sale/purchase of oil interests in Uganda
- Dubai Financial Group v National Air Services – advising and representing the Claimant in challenge to a high value default judgment proceedings concerning high net worth individuals from GCC states
- Ridley and others v. Dubai Islamic Bank – claim before the English Commercial Court to enforce security in the sum of $600 million in the aftermath of the financial crisis in Dubai
- Defending two individuals on a claim brought by an international investment bank for £100m arising out of a sale of a commodities business to Phibro, involving worldwide freezing orders and appointment of a receiver over assets in inter alia Switzerland, Canada, and Japan
- Advising and representing a State entity on a challenge before the English High Court to an LCIA award concerning a long term power purchase agreement
- Working as part of a team on behalf of a consortium of Swiss banks seeking to recover SFR 80m from Lloyd’s underwriters
- Representing a mechanical and services engineer in the Official Referee’s court and the Court of Appeal in relation to the construction of a hospital following a major collapse of the construction
- Lembaga Kemajuan Tanah Persekutuan v Dr. Tan Kee Kwong – major defamation case involving a statutory body and an opposition politician
- Merong Mahawangsa Sdn Bhd & anor v Dato Shazryl Eskay Abdullah  8 CLJ 212 – major commercial case in which the Federal Court ruled on the invalidity of influence-peddling contracts as being void on the grounds of being contrary to public policy
- Ungku Sulaiman Abd. Majid & anor v Pengarah Tanah Dan Galian Johor & anor  2 CLJ 273 – historical claim in relation to lands owned by royals from the State of Johor against the Government of the State of Johor
- UEM Genisys Sdn Bhd v United Engineers Berhad & ors  108 CLJ 785 – shareholder dispute involving fraud and oppression